Hair cuts keep your hair looking tidy and healthy, but we’ve all experienced that feeling of hating our hair within a few weeks of a trim. This is why the world gave us hair extensions, and you’ll be delighted to know that they are surging in popularity.
In 2020, sales of hair extensions blew up to $1.25 billion, and this is predicted to leap another 20% by 2022. But with all this buzz, there is a lot of misinformation to watch out for. You don’t want to make a decision based on bad information.
So just what are hair extensions and how do they work?
How do hair extensions work?
In a nutshell, hair extensions add instant volume to fine hair to achieve a fuller look. They are the shortcut to beautiful hair that looks longer, fuller or both – whatever you need to get out of them. If you are frustrated that your hair is too fine and/or sparse, hair extensions could be just the solution you’ve been looking for.
For best results, you should always have your hair extensions professionally applied. This is the best way to get a natural look that blends seamlessly with your existing hair and lasts as long as possible. Lux Hair Lounge use cutting-edge techniques and high-end extensions to get you the best possible results.
How do clip-in hair extensions work?
With clip-in extensions, wefts of hair are fixed to a lace or cloth base that incorporates clips that attach to your roots. These hair extensions are simple to apply, not overly committal and last for 3-6+ months, giving you instantly longer, fuller hair. You can even be adventurous and remove/reapply clip-ins to change up your style for different occasions.
Clip-in hair extensions are very quick to apply, as the stylist merely needs to clip them into your existing hair. The result looks incredibly natural – even your own family will struggle to tell the difference! You can even go for coloured clip-ins to get a more funky look – they are as versatile as they are simple, and can be removed even more easily than they are applied.
How do sew in hair extensions work?
Sew in hair extensions are threaded into your natural braided hair using a needle. The process must be done by a professional, and the application can be very time consuming – expect to be in the chair for several hours. These types of extensions are best suited to people with thicker hair, as the application can put a strain on the scalp. They usually last for 6-8 weeks after application.
This is seen as the ‘old-school’ technique of applying semi-permanent hair extensions. No adhesives or fancy hardware are involved, but it requires skill and precision to do well. Sew-ins are the most permanent form of hair extensions since they cannot be removed and reapplied, so they are not best for someone who wants a versatile solution.
How long do hair extensions last?
Hair extensions are not all created equal, so read our full guide to learn about how long you can expect to be wearing your set of hair extensions.
How do hair extensions work on different hair types?
Hair extensions work slightly differently depending on your hair type. It’s important to take the unique qualities of your hair into account when choosing the extensions you have. Things to consider include:
- Hair colour (whether virgin or dyed)
- Curly or straight?
- Thick, fine or thinning hair?
- Short or long?
Wearing hair extensions is a great way to make your hair look voluminous and beautiful, but you should not sacrifice your own mane for a temporary solution. Similarly, you want the addition to look as seamless and natural as possible, so it is crucial to choose wisely.
How to hair extensions work on short hair?
If you have cut your hair short but want to be able to enjoy the best of both worlds, you need clip-in or tape on hair extensions. Your natural hair will need to be at least 3 inches long to be able to add extensions, but if it is as short as that then you may need to look at something more permanent than clip-ins. A thick set is important, as you need lots of hair to make the transition from short to long look more natural.
It can also help to mix and match colours if you want added dimension. And the extensions will need to be clipped higher than usual to cover as much of your natural hair as possible.
Here are the main benefits to using hair extensions with short hair:
- They add instant length, which can amount to versatility with clip-ins that can be removed and reapplied.
- They add volume, which can be particularly appealing for those with fine hair.
- They can add colour, such as if you choose to blend two different colours for greater depth.
- They are low-maintenance, meaning you can enjoy beautiful, healthy-looking hair with less effort.
How do hair extensions work for thinning hair?
Typically, hair extensions are an effective way to add length and volume to hair that is naturally very fine. This reinvigorates your locks, giving them a healthy and well-nourished feel. Clip-ins or tape ons are usually perfect for fine hair, but other options like halo hair extensions are sometimes a good choice. Your stylist will be able to give you a tailored recommendation based on your hair.
The benefits of hair extensions for thinning hair include:
- They add volume and lustre to your hair, so if your thinning locks make you feel insecure then you can go out into the world feeling confident.
- They look very natural when applied professionally, so no one will be able to spot the difference. It’s important to choose the right type of extensions and get the colours right for a seamless look.
- With the right choice of extensions and professional application, they will not harm your natural hair. Keep up with your usual haircare routine and, once you are finished with the extensions, your natural locks will still be healthy.
- Hair extensions are long-lasting, as long as you care for them well. You can keep that healthy, voluminous look for up to 4 months, after which your natural hair will have grown. You can then choose to go au naturelle or get some new extensions to continue the look.
One word of caution: if you are experiencing active hair loss, hair extensions might conceal the problem. This may result in a delay to you seeking treatment for the hair loss, and the extensions could fall out as the natural hair is shed.
Similarly, if you have particularly fragile to sparse, fine hair, extensions may not be suitable for you. This is frustrating, as you probably long for lusher hair. Fortunately, there are lots of tutorials to discover to help you style fine hair.
How do hair extensions work with curly hair?
Again, clip-in or tape hair extensions are your go-to if you have curly or wavy hair. You will need to use curly hair extensions that match the natural curls or waves of your locks. A stylist will be your best option for placement, as they can get the extensions to match your hair’s natural look for a seamless finish.
The advantages of hair extensions for curly hair include:
- Protection for your natural hair – the extensions can take the brunt of all you do to manipulate your hair so your natural curls can grow in peace.
- Added volume. There are few looks more striking than a voluminous head of gorgeous curls, and hair extensions can help you achieve that iconic look.
- They can be a canvas for your hair colour(s). With a professional’s help, you can mix and match colours to create depth and lustre for ultimate glamour.
- Immediate gratification for longer, fuller hair that looks completely natural without having to wait for your hair to grow.
If you are wondering “How much do hair extensions cost?”, read our detailed guide to get an idea of what you would be spending.
Hair extensions are a great way for people with virtually any hair type to experience added length, volume and glamour in their hair. With the help of a professional stylist, you can get beautiful, natural-looking extensions applied perfectly that match the colour of your hair.
At Lux Hair Lounge, our experienced stylists use only tape extensions in-salon as we believe they are the safest semi-permanent solutions available. We want to protect your natural hair so we go all out preserve the health of your hair.
If you are in or around the Narellan area of NSW and would like to enquire about having a hair extension solution applied, please contact Lux Hair Lounge today and speak to one of our friendly team members. We’d love to hear from you, and will be able to answer your questions and book you in with one of our stylists.